Thursday, August 9, 2012

I just found out my daughter has Autism, what comes next?

0e63aebb 
I am not very good with emotions. Showing it to others is not my strong suit. Trying to pull emotion out of me  when I am going through something is near impossible unless your my husband. I will cry with my husband, laugh with my husband and share everything with my husband which is a great gift to me. So, when things happen in life and everyone expects me to run in to their arm and ball my eyes out and I don't I feel almost bad that I am not like that. What I am good at is writing how I feel. When I was a little kids and all the way up till I met my husband I carried a journal with me everywhere. I wrote everything down. Shared everything and when I would fill up a journal it would almost hurt to by a new one. 

When Brian and I came home from finding out that Chloe had Autism, we were both in a daze. Both quiet and still a little in shock. It slowly settled in over the next few hours and I went into super shock mode. We just kept saying I can't believe it, at least we know what's wrong now. We both have been working a lot the past two days {Brian working overtime and me getting iPhone cases made and out}, so keeping busy was kind of a blessing since we didn't really know what to do next. 

When I finally had a second to research what Autism is exactly and what comes next, I literally Googled "I just found out my daughter has Autism, what comes next?" Yes, I was that....lost. Thank goodness, like an hour later I got a call from director of Chloe's Speech Therapy sessions and she laid it down for me. I received a lot of information and know now what comes next. In essence we as parents will be taking a class, and getting more informed as parents and Chloe is now on the wait list for this amazing pre-school like setting for children with Autism and if she gets in, she will be with 7 other kids everyday to help improve some of her behaviors. If she does not get in, she will be receiving intense in house therapy for a hours everyday...

Needless to say there will be some big changes in all our lives over the next few months. As it happens, I will not be going to school this semester and will be spending my time and focus on our sweet little girls. I will go back to school, once we all get accustom to our new lives. 

Brian and I are very excited about the possibilities and help we are now receiving to work with this amazing little lady. 

I know a lot of family members might be reading this post and I have been receiving a lot of questions like, "What can I do?" In answer to this question that I had no good answer previously, I would now say... Educate yourself on what Autism is and what it's like in the mind of an Autistic child. I found this website helpful {Autism Speaks}. I also heard this book is really good at getting in the mind of an Autistic child and might help us all understand her a little bit more {The Way I see it by Temple Grandin} or this book {Emergence: Labeled Autistic}. I have not read either, but the reviews are amazing and I have heard good things from other people.




4 comments:

  1. Mandi, Memphis was diagnosed in May... and it's still sinking in (3 months later, and I think I'm still a bit in a daze). We're taking it one day at a time and doing what we can to educate ourselves as best as we can. We have an amzing support system through our family & the school. If you'd need to talk, don't be shy! Selfishly, I'd love to be able to chat once in a while with someone who really ''gets it.'' Hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work with many kids with autism and they are some of the most talented, enigmatic children I have been blessed to work with. It's a really hard journey to begin with, especially at an early age where therapy can be intense and as you discover how the autism is going to manifest itself. Yet, despite the difficulties I know very many children with autism who have gone on to be exceptionally successful in a variety of careers...not just maths like everyone thinks. There is a girl I currently teach who plays 6 musical instruments and is an absolute super star at creative writing. She struggles a bit socially, but only sometimes. The behaviour and attitudes of others can be the most frustrating thing. I don't understand what it is like to have a child with autism and certainly can only imagine that the diagnosis rocked you to the core. Stay strong. If you need a chat - you know where to find me.

    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin's little boy has autism, and a pretty extreme case. I admire all those moms who have children with this--they are truly special children who need parents who are patient and loving and you seem like you are exactly those things. Your daughter is absolutely adorable...just know you have a TON of support everywhere! My cousin is apart of a group that she goes to once a week with her son and she says it helps a whole lot for both her and her little guy. xoxo

    Come on over and follow along Color Issue...I think you'd really enjoy it (but than again I might be a bit bias?!) ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a new follower, I just found you through Torie at Lattes and Love via Twitter (convoluted much?!). I'm a mat leave right now, but before I left work I was a child development facilitator that provided the in home therapy that you wrote about and I also have a special needs sibling (not specifically Austim, but lots of similar traits). It was an incredibly rewarding job and it can be overwhelming for parents to experience at first. I hope your little girl gets all the tools & support she needs to be healthy & successful! I'm looking forward to following your blog and getting to know you & your family! =)

    ReplyDelete